It’s time again for the One Room Challenge. In the Spring I focused on my Master Bedroom. We had just moved into our new house and my bedroom needed a lot of love. Here’s the result.
This time around I have totally gone crazy. My husband and I are in the process of buying an investment property, a townhouse that we are going to furnish and rent out as a vacation/executive rental. I’m going to use the townhouse as my “room” for this challenge and my plan to is get it updated and furnished in six weeks. Sounds crazy right?? Well, just wait. We don’t even own it yet. We are closing on the property in about three weeks. So for the first three weeks of the six week challenge, I’ll be decorating and diy-ing from afar! We’ll see how this goes. Keep you fingers crossed that nothing delays closing.
Here are some before pictures of the townhouse. This is how it looked when it was listed for sale.
It’s a nice place. It has great views of the lake. We’re going to do minimal updating. Most of it is non-design stuff like adding smoke detectors in the bedrooms and I won’t bore you with those things. My plans for updating the decor are:
- New window treatments pretty much everywhere
- Update the existing kitchen cabinets with paint and/or hardware
- I like the paint colors everywhere. The are pretty neutral and soft, but the Living Room/Dining Room ceiling needs repainting or touching up. I may paint the fireplace block a different color to make it stand out.
- Obviously, new furniture everywhere. The house that we just moved into in February is smaller than our old house, so I’m going to try to furnish this townhouse almost entirely from extra things we have sitting around.
- Lighting!! This space has lots of windows and high ceilings and still it seems dark. I’m definitely going to address that! Luckily I have about a thousand extra lamps sitting around.
And finally I’ll share a few images that are my inspiration for how I want this townhouse to turn out.
I realize looking at these inspiration photos that they are almost entirely inspirations for the colors I want to see in the townhouse. While these rooms are beautiful, they’re more pretty and formal than the feel I want in the townhouse. I like these colors, but I’ll try to keep it casual and fun. Speaking of that, I’d love to name the townhouse. Every time we’ve rented a vacation rental it’s had a name. Something cool like like Sunset Shores or River’s Edge. Any ideas??
Next week I’ll show you the plans I’ve drawn up for the major spaces and we’ll look at some of the art, fabric, and furniture that are going into those spaces.
To see what all the talented designers and bloggers are doing for their One Room Challenges go the www.callingithome.com.
Have a great week!!!